I created a search app with fulltext, boolean, etc. i have two forms, one that allows the user to just enter a basic search in a single input field and a more advanced form with additional input areas for advanced boolean searches.. now, when you do not specify a boolean operator, what does it default to? i am thinking it defaults to a search similar to using LIKE %string%

Basically i want to know what default boolean operator i should use for a 'basic' search or should i not use a boolean for the 'basic' search? i want to provide decent search results without forcing the user to go to advanced mode.

just looking for tips/suggestions to tweak the results it returns and anything else i should know.

lastly... this might be more related to php, if anyone knows of a reliable function/class to highlight search terms, please let me know.

TIA.