That's on the schedule (and has been for a bit), but our slave seems to stop replicating every week or two. Combine that with weekly pushes, and other must-do stuff, it seems to always get dumped on the back burner.

David

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Hello.

I recommend you to upgrade to 4.1.12 (4.0.24) because there were a lot of bug
fixes

as of 4.0.20.

David Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We are running 4.0.20 on two servers (AMD Opteron and Xeon).

Our slave has died twice in the last month with the following error:

"Could not parse relay log event entry. The possible reasons are: the

master's binary log is corrupted (you can check this by running

'mysqlbinlog' on the binary log), the slave's relay log is corrupted

(you can check this by running 'mysqlbinlog' on the relay log), a

network problem, or a bug in the master's or slave's MySQL code. If you

want to check the master's binary log or slave's relay log, you will be

able to know their names by issuing 'SHOW SLAVE STATUS' on this slave."

I've tried "resetting" replication by setting the master log file and

position to the values that are given by "show slave status" in case it

was a network hiccup, but the same error.

After I did this, the slave's binary log file shows,

/*!40019 SET @@session.max_insert_delayed_threads=0*/;

# at 4

#691231 16:00:00 server id 1 log_pos 0 Rotate to

colossus-bin.030  pos: 12435199

# at 47

#691231 16:00:00 server id 1 log_pos 0 Rotate to

colossus-bin.030  pos: 12435199

So I went to the master, and turned the binary log into a text file

using mysqlbinlog and scanned by hand the approximate time it died; I

didn't see anything particularily interesting.

I then use mysqlbinlog with the -j option (to start parsing at a

particular spot; in this case, 12435199). The error I got was,

ERROR: Error in Log_event::read_log_event(): 'Event too big', data_len:

1701209458, event_type: 44

Could not read entry at offset 12435199:Error in log format or read error

Googling on some of the phrases in that error message didn't turn up

much, other than it could be potentially be a hardware or

disk-controller issue (we are using 3ware, self-built drivers)....

Anyone have any thoughts? This has been fairly recent (we had some

max-allowed-packet issues till I bumped that up and reduced the size of

the binary logs). The hardware and software has been in place nearly a

year (except the kernel, which we bumped up to try to get around

corruption in the Innodb data files on the Opteron master).

David