They do use indexes if you use them to build derived tables and are pretty fast. The only case where I see them not using indexes when I think they should is when you use a sub-query for an IN() clause.

Kevin Burton wrote:
OK...

Subqueries in 4.1 are totally broken. They don't use indexes. They're evil. We're told we have subqueries but there's no way anyone on earth could use them. To make matters worse a lot of developers are TRICKED into using them and assume that mysql would do the right thing but its a HUGE performance hit.

So...

1. When will subqueries that actually use indexes be implemented? We've been promised this feature since 4.0.... it was one of the biggest feature wins of 4.1.

2. If they won't be in 5.0 could you please abandon a feature for 5.0 and concentrate on subqueries?

3. If they won't be in 5.0 could you at least be honest and remove this feature since in the best case its useless and in the worse case its dangerous (god forbid someone should ship code that uses this)?

Not trying to be obnoxious here but I really want this feature and the current implementation is very...... evil.

:)

Kevin