It's not a bug at all. You just hit one of the features of enum :)

If you want to order alphabetically as you describe cast the enum name to a string like this
select col from t order by concat(my_enum);

-Eric

Daevid Vincent wrote:

Please tell me there is a way to fix this "bug" in mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib
4.0.18, for pc-linux-gnu (i686)

I have a column defined like so:
Type
enum('Schedule','Report','Admin','Search','General','License','Access')

If I SELECT, and ORDER BY Type, it is ordering in the order defined by the
the ENUM, not _alphabetically_ as a sane person would expect. UGH!

Please tell me there is a fix or work around.