Jay Blanchard wrote:
[snip]
The issue with timestamp is this:

You can only have one timestamp with a default of the current date.

My app has two fields in one table

Created_date    datetime default now()
Last_update             datetime default now()

This doesn't work with timestamp because timestamp doesn't support two
columns with default current_timestamp. Additionally, it looks like if
you
default to current_timestamp then any time the record is modified, that
value is changed.
[/snip]

Well, George, you never mentioned that this was your problem. And you
would run into the same problem, given your definition above, regardless
of database (unless the database product has a hack to account for it, I
am not aware of any).

Not true. PostgreSQL can do it. If you want the timestamp modified every time, a record is changed, you can use triggers to achieve this transparently. In PostgreSQL you can also set the default value (at creation time) to the output of a function.

But it is simply fixed. When creating the row you
include as your value for Created_date, NOW()....

INSERT INTO tblFoo (Created_date) VALUES (NOW())

...and then you never modify the Created_date again. The column with the
timestamp will continue to update properly when the record is UPDATED.

My understanding was the timestamp fields were only set when the record is created. They are not changed when the record is modified.

[snip]
While tinker-toys were wildly popular (I had them), they are wholly
unsuited
for large scale building projects.
[/snip]

I disagree. As shown by this link, a computer desk has been made from
tinker toys. http://www.charm.net/~jriley/tinkertoy.html :)

As far as MySQL is concerned it has been documented that there are more
than several large scale database application being utilized today,
including projects at Fortune 500 companies.

Indeed, but it depends on your application. If you are running something big but very simple (e.g. 1 daily batch if INSERTs over night, and the rest of the day of millions of SELECTs), MySQL is fine. On any project where I actually have to manipulate the data and do more complex things, I have been finding that MySQL simply isn't up to it.

I personally  manage
several MySQL databases containing 100's of millions of records on
OpenBSD and Linux systems. I have seen examples of MySQL databases
larger than the ones I am intimately familiar with. There are several
folks on this list who operate MySQL databases for large scale projects.

Size isn't the problem here. Functionality for dealing with such databases in a clean way is.

Horses for courses, as ever. If MySQL isn't capable enough for your application, the correct solution is to find a more suitable database - not moaning about how MySQL isn't good enough for your specific application, just because you are afraid of learning how to use something slightly different.

Gordan