Hi,
'' or empty string is not a null in mysql. This is true for Oracle !
this simple test lets you understand :

***************** Without NULLs
mysql> create table notnull (t varchar(10) NOT NULL);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.14 sec)

mysql> insert into notnull values('test1');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into notnull values('');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.02 sec)

mysql> insert into notnull values(NULL);
ERROR 1048 (23000): Column 't' cannot be null
mysql> select * from notnull;
+-------+
| t     |
+-------+
| test1 |
|       |
+-------+
2 rows in set (0.02 sec)

mysql> select * from notnull where isnull(t);
Empty set (0.02 sec)

***************** With NULLs
mysql> create table isnulle(a varchar(10));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.08 sec)

mysql> insert into isnulle values(NULL);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.03 sec)

mysql> select * from isnulle where isnull(a);
+------+
| a    |
+------+
| NULL |