It is recommended that you upgrade to 4.0.x first from 3.23.xx,
because of any changes to the grant tables in the mysql database, make
sure you read the upgrade notes before upggrading, here's a good link
to upgrade,

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/upgrade.html

I find it very simple to zip all the databases to be dumped from the
old server, and unzip them into the new box instead of a mysqlimport
etc.... and hopefully it should work,
# zip -r backup.zip database1 database2 ... .... .....
the go to data dir and
#unzip backup.zip
Kishore