http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/can-not-connect-to-server.html

Double check that mysqld is running. I usually find out that it's not when I get that error.

kgt

Elton Hughes wrote:

Hello All,

I am trying to install MySQL 4.1.12 on my Powermac G4. My OS is 10.4.1. I downloaded the binary distribution from the MySQL website. I uncompressed it and opened the .dmg installer. I ran the installer. Where it prompted for the Administrator's password, I gave it. The installation completed successfully. I then followed the instructions and installed the StartUp item without problem. I then tried to access the database and I get the following message:

-> mysql -u root
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
->

Should the installer have installed mysql.sock in /tmp on Macs running OS 10.4.1? Is there a step I missed or is missing in the documentation? Can MySQL run on a Mac using 10.4.1?

Thank you for your time.

Elton

 NOVA                        505 W. Olive Ave. Suite 550
 Elton Hughes (IT)                      Sunnyvale CA 94086
 Phone: 408-730-7235                   Fax: 408-730-7643