I have a master-slave replication setup. A scheduled backup script on the slave runs automatically at regular intervals.

The script slave does this:
shutdown the mysql server on the slave
backup the mysql data directory to backup media
restart the mysql server on the slave.

Using a setup like this means that the master NEVER has to be stopped or interrupted.

Jeremy Zawdowny's book Advanced MySQL has excellent information on backup and the various ways to setup a backup strategy.

Regards, Kieran

-Kieran
Blog: http://webobjects.webhop.org/