Sorry guys,

I just learned that ctrl-return would send the email you are composing, so I
got cut off short, so let me try again :-/

It appears to be usual practice from what I can see in this list to use a
primary key that actually contain somewhat meaningful data.

I have always used primary keys solely for one purpose only: To identify a
table row uniquely, using auto incremental integers. Actually, if I were to
use a unique number in an application, I would add a column to the table for
just that. I would never use the primary key. The table may contain foreign
keys and those may hold an entirely different value than this primary - even
though the other table would share a one to one relationship.

I have always felt, that if you would rely on a primary key for holding
somewhat meaningful data, somewhere down the road it could spell trouble.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear if anybody would share their thoughts on any
advantages or drawbacks as to having the primary key contain meaningful
data.

Peter Normann