From: "Martin"

> For my tests I used the blob field (not varchar or anything else), but
> compared to your tests, I didn't use MySQL 5.0.6 (as it's still a beta)
but
> I used MySQL 4.1. Maybe that's part of the problem, although I'm not sure.

FWIW: I tested it on 4.0.23-standard, with the same results as Gleb found...

> So it's really quite strange, but so far I solved it by limiting the
number
> of characters by 256 in my application, but ofcourse that's not ideal...

1) Did you try to directly use the output of the aes_encrypt function as
input for the aes_decrypt function?
2) You didn't happen to use a TINYBLOB field? (Which of course is limited to
storing 255 bytes)

Regards, Jigal.