Hello.

MySQL on 64-bit AMD rises lots of questions. There is an Opteron HOWTO

at:

  http://hashmysql.org/index.php?title=Opteron_HOWTO

I can't give any advice except sending to the list the output of SHOW

STATUS and SHOW PROCESSLIST statements performed when MySQL uses a lot

of memory. If you  able check your test on MySQL 4.1.12.

       <___/   www.mysql.com