I'm not clear on best practice to use on a database containing both MyISAM and InnoDB tables. For the MyISAM tables, it seems better to use mysqldump --opt, thus getting the --lock-tables option, but for the InnoDB the --single-transaction is preferred. Since they are mutually exclusive, is there a best practice to get consistent state of the tables when the database dump is performed?

Would `mysqldump --opt --skip-lock-tables --single-transaction` be best for a database that is mostly InnoDB tables, but does have a few MyISAM tables?

WOuld I be better off locking the database from any updates/inserts, and specifying particular commands for individual tables?

Any advice appreciated, including RTFMs with links.