So I am attempting a 5.0 upgrade from 4.1 on one of our OS X servers...

When attempting to launch mysqld it quits, with this error (showing two from the log files, happens with our build or the MySQL binary):

050617 14:03:46  mysqld started
/usr/local/mysql-standard-5.0.7-beta-osx10.3-powerpc/bin/mysqld_safe: line 2: --datadir=/mysqldata2: No such file or directory
050617 14:03:46  mysqld ended

050617 14:07:58  mysqld started
/usr/local/mysql-lw64bit-5.0.7-apple-darwin8.1-powerpc/bin/ mysqld_safe64: line 2: --datadir=/mysqldata2: No such file or directory
050617 14:07:58  mysqld ended

Needless to say /mysqldata2 is present and accounted for, and has the correct permissions for mysql to be able to read/write data... It is a symlink to another volume, but if I substitute the true path to the volume, I get the same error...

I had problems with one version of 4.1 having problems figuring out where to write the log files and it turned out to be an absolute file name issue... eg it treated /logs/binlogs as being relative to the data directory, and not an absolute directory... I resolved that by changing the log file setting to read ../logs/binlogs and it worked fine. Assuming there was a similar problem here I have tried various levels of ../../mysqldata2 to make sure I am escaping from whatever directory it is starting me in, and have failed to get there, after switching up 7 levels, far more than would be needed to get back to root from anywhere in /usr/local/mysql-any-version

Any idea how I can get MySQL 5.0 to launch here would be greatly appreciated :-)

Best Regards, Bruce