On 6/21/05, Dan Bolser wrote:

> I am interested in the theoretical time / space complexity of SQL queries
> on indexed / non-indexed data.

I doubt this is the right list for theory.

> Specifically I want to know the complexity of a query that does a
> 'cross tabulation'
>
> SELECT
>   X,
>   SUM(if(Y=1,Z,0)) AS s1,
>   SUM(if(Y=2,Z,0)) AS s2,
>   SUM(if(Y=3,Z,0)) AS s3,
> FROM
>   T1
> GROUP BY
>   X;
>
> Assuming both X and Y are indexed, how does the complexity grow with
> increasing 's' (more if clauses).

In MySQL: I bet the indexes don't matter and the complexity grows less
then linear. The EXPLAIN output will tell you why.

> Can anyone point me to a good online guide to complexity of SQL?

The language SQL or some implementation?

Consider looking at PostgreSQL instead of MySQL as your test system. I
find the tools to look inside much better:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org/msg17592.html

Jochem