I have a table which includes the following columns in addition to lots of other ones

name - populated with just one name
city - populated with just one city
keywords - lots of keywords

I'm definitely going to use a FULLTEXT on the `keywords` column

For `name` and `city` ...I will allow users to search on one name and one city.
Should I just stick to regular indices for those two columns and use

...WHERE
name LIKE  '%bob%' OR
city LIKE '%montreal%'

Will FULLTEXT indices for these two columns give me any sort of advantage, such as performance boosts?

I know that if I use FULLTEXT indices on `name` I would need it to index words that are 2 characters and above! The reason is that there are names such as `ed` or `bo` that will be lost if I don't. And I can't turn this on a column to column basis. If I set ft_min_word_length = 2, that will make ALL FULLTEXT indices handle 2 chars and above. This will make the index files huge no?

--
-James