Selon James Tu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> What have people done in the past regarding backup strategies?
>
> Is it adequate enough to rely on filesystem backups for mysql? Basically
> such that we can restore MySQL to the last filesystem backup. Is there a
> reason not to do this?
>
> I don't have any mission critical data and data that is lost since the last
> backup is acceptable.
>
> -James

Hi,
Filesystem backup for Mysql is similar to the one for all other RDBMS. You can't
do it online, otherwise your database will not be coherent. the checkpoint times
must be the same for all the datafiles.

SO YOU CAN DO IT OFFLINE.

you can also do a filesystem backup ONLINE if the RDBMs can put thetablespace
sin Backup status. This is not done in pre-4 release of mysql. That's why
replication master-slave is a backup solution.

You can see innobackup which can do online backup since it can manage
transactions during backup operation.

If your data are not crtical (as you say), the database availability is not
also. You can stop it and take an offline filesystem backup.

Hope that helps
:o)
Mathias