Where do I look for log file?

I have read mysql log file and see no indication of start up with linux, last entry is about prior shutdown. (BTW every time mysql starts it writes on err file: "/usr/sbin/mysqld-max: File '/var/log/mysql/mysql.log' not found (Errcode: 13)" but directory /var/log/mysql/ do exist)

I have found in google dmesg but it shows only harware messages.

I have looked in /var/log where there are several log files but see nothing (I expected to see somewhere something like apache2 started, and look there for mysql but see nothing)

thanks, Hassan

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

Juan Pedro Reyes Molina wrote:

which mysql gives me /usr/bin/mysql. echo $PATH shows me that /usr/bin is the fourth try. I thougth this was windows like, where PATH is only used if program is not found in active directory.

Executables in the 'current working directory' will only be used
if your PATH includes a '.' -- and there are different opinions
about the wisdom of including that in root's default PATH :-)

I thought that when linux starts all scripts in /etc/init.d where given the start signal. If so I don't understand why mysql remains stopped on linux start up but wake up smoothly when I issue a manual /etc/init.d/mysql start. It looks like a bug in Ubuntu distro.

Yes to both; again, look in the MySQL log files, and possibly your
system log files as well to see if there's something relating to
this.

HTH,