My apologies for even needing to ask this question, but I've
spend hours combing through the docs and have not figured this
out. :-(

The problem is basically how to obtain warnings and the question
comes in a couple of flavors:

For example if one does "update tbl set my_int='21.3 a' where
my_key=4" (where my_int = int(11)) my_int will be set to 21 and a
warning is generated. Try as I might, I cannot see how to get the
mysql client to show these to me.

Issuing the same command in PHP4, I can not see an interface
which will return me an indicator that a warning was generated or
how to fetch the warning message.

Doing an INSERT where data is converted/truncated apparently
generates no warnings (as indicated in the mysql client), but
surely MYSQL will generate a warning when the data is converted.

Lastly, can I set some flag so that MYSQL is more strict about
this stuff? Seems to me that my_int=21.3 isn't correct in some
cases and I should at least get a warning and even better be able
to force MySQL to reject this as incorrect.

TIA