On Jun 27, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Ted Zeng wrote:
I don't know if it is possible under Mac OS. But I assume it is,
consider it is basically a UNIX.

I just want to trigger a shell script, say, a perl script.
Could a shell script be called from a C program?
It looks like I will need to go through a lot of stuff to do this.
Just remember that this shell script will be called for every record involved in the database action. If up do an update on the table that affects 1000 rows, the database will go through the process of calling the UDF and associated system calls for each of the 1000 rows. This will degrade database performance.

What it is you are trying to accomplish with the shell script? Perhaps it could be pulled into the UDF, or into some other mechanism.