Michael Stassen wrote:

> Mysql reports the first thing it didn't understand, which isn't
> necessarily the first thing wrong.  I note that it thought \' was a
> command, which implies it didn't see the preceding ' as the *start* of
> a string, which implies something went wrong earlier in the line.  Of
> course, it's impossible to guess what.  Could you post the entire
> line, and perhaps a line or two before?

Unfortunately not, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, in the meantime I've been doing search & replace on the dump
file to get rid of the duplicated \'\' stuff.

Secondly, the dump file is HUGE, and I'm not really sure what part it
had a problem with. I probably *should* be able to narrow it down to the
table, by opening the dump file in a text editor and going to the line
number mentioned in the error, but I've tried that a couple of times and
whatever editor I use just locks up ... the file's far too big. I let
gedit run for 15 minutes before finally killing it.

Thirdly, if the error is where I think it is, the whole table has
confidential stuff in it, and I'd have to mask every mention of
companies / people. This wouldn't leave much.

Anyway, my original search and replace seems to have been a stupid thing
to do. Since I'm only testing things out ( trying to get stored
procedures working ), I didn't think to keep a backup of the backup in
case something happens. Frankly I'm not too concerned about it anyway.
I'll start from scratch, importing the data via ODBC, make a new
mysqldump file, and see if the problem persists. If it does, I'll be
back, and I won't destroy the evidence this time...

Dan

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer