Mathias wrote:

sorry if i wasn't clear. i mean not select puchase_date, but max(purchase_date),
i.e. use having clause.

The join field is certainly customerId, or .... There is not sufficient info on
tables.

Hope that helps
:o)
Mathias

How would you do that with HAVING?

I believe the subquery version would work something like this

  SELECT c.customerName,
         p1.customerID, p1.purchaseID, p1.purchaseDate, p1.purchaseValue
  FROM customer c
  JOIN purchases p1 ON c.customerID = p1.customerID
  WHERE p1.customerID = (SELECT MAX(p2.purchaseDate
                         FROM purchases p2
                         WHERE p1.customerID = p2.customerID);

As I said, that requires mysql 4.1+. With earlier versions, you use a temporary table, as described in the manual page I referenced.

Michael