Hi,

I'll tell you what did my provider (http://www.claranet.fr ) to
upgrade from 3.23 to 4.1.
They setup a new server with new hardware and a clean new 4.1.11 on
it. Then I have available the old 3.23 and the new 4.1. They let me
the choice on which server, the DB are created. So the customer has to
do the migration by himself (dump data from 3.23 and pipe it to 4.1,
after PHP code upgrade). That's the most flexible solution, you let
the old server up and running, and buy a new one (thus encouraging
customer to migrate, since it will be faster).
 Your customers will be able to migrate at their own pace, and even
downgrading to 4.0 in your case, if something goes wrong.

(and yes I agree, the timestamp + 0 (don't forgot any space) is the
most hitting change between 4.0 and 4.1, I had to review all timestamp
field cause the app rely on it heavily ! )
Good luck !