We've been benchmarking a database that in real-life will have a huge write load (max peak load 10000 inserts/second) to the same table (MyISAM).

We will need about 4 indexes for that table. However, from our benchmark tests, it is clear that writing indexes takes too many resources and impedes the speed of inserting new records.

To overcome this, we are thinking of:
1 - using several smaller tables (instead of one big one) by creating and writing to a new table every x hours, 2 - wait with writing the indexes until a new table has been created where the next inserts will be (i.e, not write indexes until the table has been closed)

The biggest problem now is if the indexes are created when the server is very busy. If there was a way of telling MySQL to delay creating the indexes when it is busy, then a big obstacle would be out of the way.

Is this possible? We could not find anything in the MySQL documentation concerning this.

Kind regards,

Mathias