On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:47:43 +0100,  wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm designing a simple family tree db which is at present just a flat table
>In which each record everyone has a father & mother, a variable number of
>wives,and variable number
>of children.
>The links to other family tree members is always the record_id of another
>record.
>
>At present I'm manually inserting the "links" eg my father is record_id 52, my
>mother recordid 60 my
>children records 100,101,102
>
>I can write queries to display everyone's father mother children etc no
>problem.
>
>* But My question is
>
>Is it possible/useful to define any sort of relationships/linking the
>wife/father/mother/children
>fields and the recordid of other records
>
> I'm fogging on this, your advice pls

My experience so far is that everything is done at the mysql query level and
nothing
required/possible at the data-design level.
The only thing open for me is whether the children links (up to 20 for 1
father) shouldn't be in a
separate "pairs link" table; what's the name of this type of table?

eg parent-children table
eg
father 234 child 450
father 234 child 451
father 234 child 453
mother 235 child 450
mother 235 child 451
mother 235 child 453

Now would it be useful to have a couple identifier? to simplify the above

--
zzapper
vim -c ":%s%s*%Cyrnfr)fcbafbe[Oenz(Zbbyranne%|:%s)[[()])-)Ig|norm Vg?"