I would like to thank you all for the help and the
explanations.

I think I'll stick to the option of having the
database behind the firewall. The problem is I don't
control that part of the company, as you can imagine
so I'll have to ask the network administrators for
that.

Just want to resume what was said here:

- Even if it was possible, RDBMS over a network is not
recommended

- if you're working behind a firewall, you'd better
open a port for your db server

- adding SSL can help making it more secure