I have an index char column in the format
aaaa-bbbbbb-cc-dd

where a,b,c and d are integers

Most of the time, the whole column will be searched for. But it will sometimes be necessary to search for the substring in b or d (or a combination of both) Thus if I split them up, they will need to be indexed as well.

My question is: in terms of read and write performance, is it better to split them up into 4 indexed columns of integer instead or to keep them in one indexed column of char?

If they should be kept in one column, what is the quickest way to search? To use a regular expression?

 - Mathias