Just to make things REALLY messy... try setting the default character set of a 4.1 server to utf8, and then importing your data from 4.0... your mysql usernames are in real trouble now, because utf8 considers itself to be multi byte and takes more space, cutting down on the 16 characters by.. well... let's just say it's painful. Took me some time to figure out why it wasn't accepting my new usernames - very unpleasant.

Best Regards, Bruce

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 03:46:02PM -0700, Tim Traver wrote:
> Is there any reason why I shouldn't increase the size of the allowable
> user names in mysql to var(32) instead of the default var(16) ???
>
> Couldn't really find much on it, but wanted to ask if anyone knows of
> any troubles this may cause...

Yes, there are a number of places within the server that only expect the
username to be 16 characters, and will almost certainly break in the
face of longer usernames.

Jim Winstead
MySQL Inc.