Some additional info would probably be helpful:

What version of mysql are you running?

On what platform?

For the sake of comparison, what does SHOW GRANTS say for your "brand new user"?

Finally, did you 'SELECT CURRENT_USER()' to verify that you were logged in as 'scopeuser'@'10.254.%' when it didn't work?

Michael

John McCaskey wrote:

Ok, So I recreated a brand new user in our production server and it now
works correctly.  However, I still have no idea why the old user did not
work.  Here is the permission info for the old user:

mysql> show grants for 'scopeuser'@'10.254.%';
--------------------------+

| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'scopeuser'@'10.254.%' IDENTIFIED BY
PASSWORD '2326f23b5ff9232' |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

So it looks like this is some sort of bug with the user being corrupted
somehow and permissions checks causing the SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 to
not work but still return success? Seems like a mysql bug then right?
John A. McCaskey