> Hello.
>
> You could find the clues in the error log. See:
>
>       http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/error-log.html
>
> Good Afternoon:
>
> >I have rebuilt by web / database server from bare metal this morning.
> >The computer is running Fedora Core 3, and is fully patched and up to
> >date.
> >The MySQL version is 4.1.12-1, and I have installed the following
> >components
> >-          Server
> >-          Client
> >-          Compat-libs
>
> >All were installed from the RPMs provided by MySQL.com
> >To start of, I am fairly new to administering database servers, and
> >using them, so if my question seems a little elementary, please
> >understand and answer accordingly.
> >My question is this.
> >My databases are located on a different physical machine from the one
> >running the database server - (for backup etc reasons)
> >The databases reside in /home/mysql - that's an NFS share, which I
know
> >for a fact is valid, as I have other data being used from the share
> >the default my.cnf  is listed here:
> >
> >[mysqld]
> >datadir=/var/lib/mysql
> >socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
> >

> >[mysql.server]
> >user=mysql
> >basedir=/var/lib
> >

> >[safe_mysqld]
> >err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
> >pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
>
> >When I start the mysql server with this configuration, it appears to
> >start in good order.
> >It is my understanding that in order to have the server utilize my
> >databases that are on the other machine, I need to change the datadir
> >directive in the my.cnf file to read
> >datadir=/home/mysql
> >when I do this however, mysql fails to start - it waits for a period
of
> >time and gives me a failed error.
> >Can someone please explain to me what is going wrong, and what I can
do
> >to fix it. - I am not interested in having someone fix this for me, I
> >just need some guidance so that I can learn how to fix it myself, so
> >when it happens again, I will know what to do.

[Tim Holmes]

Gleb, et. al.

As you suggested, I have checked out the log files and this is what I
have found:

050713 11:00:09  mysqld started
050713 11:00:09 [Warning] Asked for 196608 thread stack, but got 126976
050713 11:00:09 [ERROR] Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address
already in use
050713 11:00:09 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server
running on port: 3306 ?
050713 11:00:09 [ERROR] Aborting

050713 11:00:09 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

050713 11:00:09  mysqld ended

This suggests to me a communications problem on either the database
server, or the file server where the databases reside.

I guess the next question is how do I check to see whats going on here.

I tried telnet 192.168.0.5:3306 and got the following

[EMAIL PROTECTED] log]# telnet 192.168.0.5:3306
192.168.0.5:3306/telnet: Name or service not known

This may suggest that telnet is not installed, or it may indicate
another problem

Any suggestions are welcome

TIM