I can successfully LOAD a UDF in mysql-4.1.10, but I can't DROP it.
MySQL reports that the DROP FUNCTION was OK, but the function still
shows up in the mysql.func table.  The function no longer works, but I
have to TRUNCATE the mysql.func table in order to be able to LOAD it
again.  I am doing this with the root account so I don't think it's a
privileges problem.  See below:

mysql> create function betatouni returns string soname 'libbeta2.so';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.12 sec)

mysql> drop function betatouni;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from func;
| name      | ret | dl          | type     |
| betatouni |   0 | libbeta2.so | function |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> create function betatouni returns string soname 'libbeta2.so';
ERROR 1026 (HY000): Error writing file 'mysql.func' (errno: 121)

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Jeremy