At 03:09 PM 7/15/2005, you wrote:
Darryl Hoar wrote:
I am running MySql 3.23.53.   I am developing a multi-user
application in delphi using the Zeoslib controls.
Since it is going to be a multi-user application, should I use
Innodb ?
If so, are there any good tutorial/references for the Innodb ?
thanks,
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

So now also my question: When to use innodb instead of myisam? What performace advantages does this engine have?

Darryl et al,
As a general rule, you'd use InnoDb if you need transactions or if you expect to have more than 15-20 updates/sec to the same table. If all you're doing are Select statements or if only 4 or 5 people are updating the table at the same time, MyISAM may be all you need. MyISAM does very fast table locking whereas InnoDb does row locking. MyISAM imho is faster at executing general Select statements/joins and it has fulltext indexing which InnoDb does not yet have. The last I heard Heikki is working on fulltext indexing for InnoDb and it should be out in my lifetime.<vbg> Innodb is more robust than MyISAM when updating tables under heavy load. MyISAM will force users to wait for a table lock if there are a lot of people updating the same table. So if several people are hammering the same table with updates, InnoDb is the preferred engine to use. But you have to tweak InnoDb a lot more than MyISAM and it is difficult to get Selects to run as fast as MyISAM. That's my 2 cents worth.

Mike