Hi ,

This is a little off topic but I have seen count(*) on this list afew
times and it got me wondering...

Is there a reason to use SELECT COUNT(*) as opposed to SELECT COUNT(column)?

I have noticed that selecting count(*) versus specifying the column
name executes much more slowly.

I've been around, on relative periphery, SQL and SQL DBMS' for a long
time but never seen count(*) used.

These days I am more involved with SQL (using MySQL) and want to learn
more nuances as I go along.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Nic