From: "Dane Knudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 9:59
Subject: Install problem

I have installed MySQL by running  mysql_install_db after completing the
installation of RH Linux 7.1 from scratch.  The file seems to indicate
that it installs OK.  When I try to start the server from the command
line it get a message that says "Starting mysqld daemon with databases
from /var/lib/mysql", next line gives that date and time and says
"mysqld ended".  I then have to hit enter to get a prompt back.

If I try to use the "mysqladmin version" commend I get the following
error:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/mysql/mysqld.sock' exists!

The file mysql.sock is in the right place but I can't open the file even
as root.  I have also looked for an error log, but haven't found one
yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

The machine does have two NIC's, though one has been disabled.
Dane Knudson
Account Manager - Technical
Freedom Technologies
Level 20, Tower 2