Hi All,

when I use a distinct on varchar fields, does mySQL truncate the value
of the string to some set value.
This two queries give me a completely different number of rows and I am
not sure how to influence the behaviour:

select distinct x from y; (many rows result)
and
select distinct concat("some long string",x,"some more string" from y
(one row result)

where x is a varchar(255) field.

Is there any way that I can get the same results with both queries or as
an alternative use:

select concat("some long string", distinct x,"some more string") from y,
where the problem is that distinct is not allowed in concat (as in any
other function for that matter as I assume)

Thanks ,

Markus