I'm trying to get a handle on MySQL backups and hot backups using MyISAM
and InnoDB tables together.  We plan to switch from SQL Server to MySQL
soon.

How are you guys handling full-backups of databases with mixed MyISAM
and InnoDB tables?  From what I've read (and I've been reading a lot),
if we are using only one or the other then it is a pretty simple matter
to get a clean backup.  Use --lock-tables for MyISAM, or
--single-transaction if we using only InnoDB tables.

I've been doing some testing and came across something I don't
understand.  I filled my test InnoDB formatted table with a lot of data
so mysqldump will take a while to complete.  Then I start mysqldump on
this database with the --single-transaction option.  While that is
running, I insert a record into the table.  It completes sucessfully.  I
then run a query and am able to see that record in the database.  The
mysqldump is still running.  How is this record getting inserted into
the database?  I thought it was locked while the dump was happening?  I
thought it would get queued up and inserted when the mysqldump is
finished.  The record was NOT in the dump, this part made sense.

Thanks for any help.
-Ryan