Eugene Kosov wrote:
Chris Faulkner wrote:

HI

I have a query like this
select * from table where (
( field1 = 'VALUE1' and field2 like 'VALUE2%' ) OR ( field3 = 'VALUE1' and field2 like 'VALUE2%' ) )

I have created two composite indexes - one on field1 + field2 and one
on field3 + field2. Explain on the SQL indicates that the indexes are
possibly used. The query takes an age to run and looking at my log
indicates a full table scan.

I have also tried indexing just field1 and field3 separately but this
doesn't help. I have run an analyze.

Chris

Mysql use an index only if indexed field(s) present(s) in both OR arguments.. Sorry, but i can't find it in docs right now, so i can't give you any helpful link.

I think index on field2 may help you here..