Privet!

Yogesh wrote:
HI,

 I have a client that runs php+mysql application and it has a problem with "ORDER BY
some_varchar_field" sql expression. The DB is in russian cp1251 encoding and "order
by" doesnt produce an alphabetically ordered result. our mysql server default charset is
latin1 and I don't know of any way to change it.

I had similar problem. The only solution i'd found then was change encoding of my data on the fly. But it's not applicable if your table is rather big.

Our version is MySQL 4.0.24

Is it possible to change charset fo a database in this version?

I guess not. Default charset for database supported only since 4.1

Regards
Yogesh