The directory where MySql install bin script and data is:
/usr/local/mysql
this is a symbolic link to another directory in /usr/local/.

Try to open a terminal and type:
cd  /usr/local/mysql
bin/mysqlsafe &
this command launches the server.

bin/mysql
launches the client.

There is a file in script folder that creates users & groups (mysql-install-db).

It is possible that you have 2 versions of mysql (one from system installer, the other from you).
Santino Cusimano

PS: In the installer .dmg disk you have 2 installers (one for mysql database and the other install a script to launch mysql at boot time). Be sure to install both.