On Jul 25, 2005, at 5:47 AM, Marvin Wright wrote:

You recommend to dump tables before changing then re-import them back. But if all databases are in there own tablespace I should need to do this dump
should I ?

Unfortunately I think that's your only option to create a new table space. One way to avoid that and not waste the space might be to move some large tables into the shared table space and use file-per- table for new tables. You'd just switch file-per-table off, run ALTER TABLE tablename TYPE=INNODB to move the table into the shared space then switch file-per-table on. This won't work for a lot of table structures, but it might be a way for you to use the space.

I want to reduce it to about 10gb, that should be enough for all its
temporary storage and logs.

You probably know this, but regardless of whether you use file-per- table or not you still need the separate InnoDB log files.

--Ware