Sorry to say I can't help but am really interested in the resolution.
If it helps the brains at all, I experience the same thing on the
following system.
mandrake 8
kernel 2.4.3
ReiserFS (mysql data on scsi drive, rest on an IDE)
mysql .37 binary (couldn't get the source to compile)

seems to have happened mostly when I hit it with over 50 users (using
seige) on the site that's accessing it, although apache::DBI didn't let
the process get over 40 to the various database's, then lowered that
significantly).

I also have no luck with a kill -9 on that last process.