Hi Joerg,

From: "Joerg Bruehe"
> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
> > 050726 14:13:12  mysqld started
> > 050726 14:13:12  InnoDB: Error: cannot allocate 7340048384 bytes of
> > InnoDB: memory with malloc! Total allocated memory
> > InnoDB: by InnoDB 78086952 bytes. Operating system errno: 12
> On my machine (Linux: SuSE 9.1), I have this line in
> /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h :
>     #define ENOMEM          12      /* Out of memory */

And perror 12 also produces a similar error description.

> So it looks like some address space (paging area?) was not yet free when
> the restart was attempted. Maybe the MySQL server had not yet fully
> terminated?

MySQL server was terminated; at least it didn't show up in the output of the
ps-command.

It doesn't happen all the time; the server was running for a few days now.
We have never encountered such a situation on a 32-bit machine yet. You
could simply terminate MySQL and start it immediately.

Can memory get fragmented in some way after it is allocated?

Regards, Jigal.