Jason Williard wrote:
Hello,

Today, I started experiencing some issues on our website with max
connections exceeded errors.  In looking into this, I found that we had too
many sleeping processes.  I was not even able to login to the mysql server
from a command line.  Is there a way to set a timeout for sleeping
processes?
This is a small example of what I am seeing when I run a 'show processlist'
query:

+------+------+-----------+-------+---------+------+-------+----------------
--+
| Id   | User | Host      | db    | Command | Time | State | Info

+------+------+-----------+-------+---------+------+-------+----------------
--+
|  584 | root | localhost | blogs | Sleep   |  915 |       | NULL
|
|  595 | root | localhost | blogs | Sleep   |  900 |       | NULL

--+

---
Thank You
Jason Williard

Jason,

Your web application is probably using persistent connections when it does not need them. The best thing to do, if that's the case, would be replace all the "mysql_pconnect" calls in your application with "mysql_connect" (or what ever the language-specific function name is). You could also set the "wait_timeout" value in your my.cnf to something shorter, but this would affect all your applications and does not address the source of your problem.

Regards,
Devananda vdv