Bob Rea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 28/07/2005 18:19:34:

> I am learning MySQL from an older book, and some of the examples it give
do
> not work in MySQL, so I am going to ask for help on those.
>
>   select cust_contact from Customers where cust_contact like '[JM]%';
> returns Empty set (0.00 sec)
> What is the right way to do this?
>
> Likewise:
> mysql> select prod_name from Products where not vend_id = 'DLL01' order
by
> prod_name;
> Empty set (0.00 sec)

You have to give more information about what your database actally
contains, and why you expected non-null results from those queries. Are
you sure that your customers table contains a customer whose name starts
[JM] ? Both commands look perfectly sensible to me.

If your tables are small, post the results of "Select * from customers ;"
or "Select * from products ;"

        Alec