Michael,

Thank for the reference.  This is useful.

Ben.

Michael Stassen wrote:
Ben Clewett wrote:

JamesDR wrote:

I noticed, on my Linux server, that MySQL makes a DNS lookup anyway. Even if the IP is used or not. It normally digs on the PTR record. I had all of my perms IP based, however, it still looked at the PTR record. At the time I hadn't set any up in my DNS server. After I added all the PTR records of the clients that were connecting to the server, it was fast again.

...Something to think about...

James, I think you've found the problem. For the benefit of us novices, what is the PTR record? After which I can add this to my /etc/hosts, which should help.

If there is anybody who knows how to build a DNS clean MySQL, I would be very interested in knowing.

Regards,

Ben Clewett.

From the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/dns.html>, "You can disable DNS hostname lookups by starting mysqld with the --skip-name-resolve option. However, in this case, you can use only IP numbers in the MySQL grant tables."