Bruce,

the shell is catching "system" and tries to execute
whatever follows it,  MySQL ignores it 100%.

try using 'system' intead of the bare word and see.

regards,
esv.

--- bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> to recreate the error...
>
> make sure you have a test database/etc setup...
> create the following test sql file
>
> --------------------------------
> sample.sql
> --
> -- test comments
> --
> /*
>   system of the semester information. This gets
> updated for each
> */
>

> import/run the sample.sql
>
> mysql -ufoo -p dbname < sample.sql
>
> you'll get the error....
>
> the error is generated because the mysql parser
> seems to see the 'system'
> word in the comment field and it interprets it as
> being the 'system'
> function that can be run from within mysql, that's
> used to run external
> system functions... however, given that the word
> 'system' is inside a
> comment, it should be ignored!!!!!!!
>
> if you place aomething in front of the 'system' in
> the comment.. it gets
> ignored...!!!
>
> hope this clarifies what i  stated earlier...
>
> -bruce

Enrique Sanchez Vela
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
It's often easier to fight for one's        ||    We live in the outer space

principles than to live up to them        ||    Rev. Kay Greenleaf
Adlai Stevenson                                ||