Marcus Bointon wrote:
I installed (as root) the standard rpms over a working 4.1.10a installation (also from standard rpms) from the mysql site with rpm - U, and all went ok, except that the server failed to start after the upgrade. I had a look at it from webmin too and noticed that it was looking for a startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld which seems to have been renamed to plain mysql in 4.1.13 (though I can't find that documented anywhere), so I copied it to mysql. Now I see the same error as I got after the rpm -U:

nothing is logged in mysql.err, and I can't find any other error messages. Any ideas?

Marcus

Is the mysql server running?

I only ask because I have the same "problem" on an FC1 installation, "Starting MySQL......[FAILED]", but the server is up and running fine.

I'm thinking it has something to do with something the startup script is looking for to confirm the server started that's not there. I just haven't had the time or inclination to dig through it yet to find out. :)