That's an excellent paper. However, David (the OP) is not actually in
control, nor is he designing his ontology He is attempting to build a
persistence/retrieval system for the taxonomy (ontology) that the
scientific community has already created to categorize life on our planet
(Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, etc.). As I understand it, he is starting
with the Animal kingdom.

What I think will apply VERY WELL to his design process from that paper is
the excellent introduction to some of the core concepts of object oriented
(OO) development: the class, the instance, properties, and roles. I
recommend it as a read that may help bridge the gap between real-world
understanding and object conceptualization and data organization.

I don't recall if the paper mentioned another OO concept, the "method",
but methods are merely actions a class can take within the framework of an
application.  In a descriptive data model, methods do not play a major
role in describing the class (probably why it wasn't listed as part of an
ontology). For example a "document" object may have a "print" method,
something the object actually does within the bounds of the application,
but the action itself provides little or no descriptive value about the
"document" object itself.

It usually trivial to take a well formed Object Model (such as you would
derive by developing an ontology) and convert it to a relational database.
Sure there are exceptions but the parallels between the two are generally
very straight-forward.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine