Hi,

I'm taking a database class and we are given open ended discussion questions
each week.  The question this week is:

"Will MySQL take away market share from popular DBMSs? Will your comments
change if you are told that MySQL is not HIPPAA compliant?"

I have been using MySQL for well over 3 years, and other databases for well
over 10 years (professionally, as a coder....bout time I took a class eh?) and
I do think I have an informed opinion for the first part.

I'm weak in the area of HIPAA compliance though.  I know it basically centers
around privacy.  I know it covers things like adequate logging, encrypted
connections, etc, but it also seems to include a lot of EDI interoperability.
Now that seems to be something that should be handled at an application level
and MySQL shouldn't be penalized because of this.   From the searching I have
done, it appears that MSSQL for example offers this mandatory feature via their
Biztalk server (to handle all the EDI)

There are all manner of sites that will discuss HIPAA compliance for a fee.  Is
anyone here familiar with this that could provide a reference or a simple
summary.  It seems an interesting and important topic that I thought the list
might be interested.

Regards,

Gary Huntress