Hi Shawn, all!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Joerg Bruehe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 08/05/2005 02:08:35 PM:

[[...]]
Have you considered using BETWEEN?
[[...]]

Actually, no, he cannot substitute BETWEEN as BETWEEN is _inclusive_ of the boundary conditions (a closed interval). In this case he does not wasnt values equal to his boundaries (an open interval)

WHERE X BETWEEN A and B Is equivalent to
WHERE X>=A and X<=B

His original WHERE clause was comparing X>A and X<B (no equality). The two are close but not the same.

Shame on me that I missed that - sorry!  Good that you spotted it.
(I know "between" is inclusive, I just did not check the comparison operators used.)

Still, I would consider to replace
   X > A  AND  X < B
by
   X  BETWEEN (A+1) AND (B-1)
for the reasons I gave in my original post (provided we talk about integral values).

Regards,
Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Office:  (+49 30) 417 01 487